Password manager security technologies are available today, use them.
We all have been told by IT that we must have complex passwords, they must have a minimum of eight characters, don’t use the same password for other sites, and then change your password again in 60-days. While this does set up a strong password security from IT’s perspective, it also forces employees to circumvent the security for their own convenience.
Now the government is mandating companies protect patient and customers personal data stored in computers. Companies need to deploy a password manager security technology to meet these demands.
Weaknesses without password manager security
- Writing passwords on notes by their computer.
- Saving an Excel spreadsheet store passwords on the desktop
- Storing passwords in the cell phone can can be lost or stolen.
- Using the same password for both personal and business accounts
- Managers telling their assistant their corporate passwords
Companies need to install password manager security solutions that are cost effective, secure and convenient to the employee. Some of the top technologies in the market are Power LogOn, RoboForm and IDVault. All tackle the security problem a little differently, but they all are solid, robust products. Some products are designed more for the consumer market while others are specific to businesses. Business solutions will also include ID badges, card life cycle management, physical access control, etc.
Password manager security technology, or logical access piece, has to also including:
- Multi-factor authentication
- Log into computers and networks
- Log into intranet, extranet internet sites
- Log into computer program applications
- Stand alone and Server modes.
- Broad range of card technologies to keep card costs low and re-badging efforts to a minimum
- Backward compatibility with existing card technologies
Some companies are delaying their security efforts for what seems to be higher priorities. But with the low cost of password manager security technologies and the high cost from a data breach, delaying may be the bigger mistake. No matter which product or solution a company chooses, password manager security technologies has to be deployed now.